Tomorrow, 18 September 2021, is World Clean-up Day. Every year this global action day takes place in 180 countries to give our planet a big clean up. The goal is to get rid of as much litter as possible, but also to gather information about the garbage that is laying around in the nature. This is important so that there can be structural solutions found for the big litter issue in the world.
To make you realise how much garbage is dumped, we collected some crazy facts:
- 160.000 plastic bags are being used every second. 100.000 sea animals die each year because of plastic bags.
- The plastic soup in the Pacific Ocean is 1.6 million square kilometers, this is bigger than Texas.
- In 2020 the amount of plastic has exceeded the number of fish in the ocean.
- Every year eight million tons of plastic end up in the ocean. This does not break down, but it breaks into smaller pieces.
- Every minute 1 million single-use plastic water bottles are being sold.
We’ve also lined up some tips for you that Dopper shared about how to minimalize your plastic use:
- Train yourself in using reusable bags instead of single-use ones. For example: put one in your work-/school-/sportsbag or hang one on your doorknob so you can take it with you when you go outside.
- Make lunch in the evening for the next day to take to work/school instead of buying a lunch wrapped in plastic.
- Bring your own reusable bottle everywhere.
One person’s effort might have a very small effect in this big society, but if everyone starts working towards solutions and less plastic use, we can make a big difference. So you know what to do: Stay Fresh & collect your trash.